Training of Trainers
Dates: 1-12 August, 2016
Do you believe that capacity building is a mayor challenge in development issues? Are you passionate about active training and facilitation in a wide range of topics to different kinds of learners? This 2 week intensive course is addressed to development experts who wish to improve and extend their training and facilitation skills. The Training of Trainers course focuses on what happens before, during and after training workshops. It is a practice-based course where learning by doing is combined with essential theoretical background and opportunity to exchange individual experiences with other peers and experienced professional trainers. Participants are encouraged to bring their own cases to work on during the course. The ToT is designed for advanced beginners with some practical experiences. However, midlevel trainers also might refresh ideas and get new inspiration for their training events.
By the end of the course participants will have a good knowledge on how to design, prepare, organize, conduct and evaluate training sessions. They will be able to translate specific training needs into appropriate training objectives and practical training activities. Participants will have practiced participatory techniques and methods for all phases of training events, building their individually tailored training toolkit. Moreover, a critical reflection on different training approaches, as well as on trainers’ attitudes and communication skills will help participants to improve their individual style and gain confidence in delivering trainings.
- Principles of adult learning
- Training needs assessments, pre-test questionnaires, training objectives
- From topics to content: how to design training modules and detailed training plans
- Training logistics and learning environments
- Visualization and presentation skills
- Trainers´ toolkit: review and practical exercises with different tools for active trainings
- Icebreakers, warm-ups and energizers
- Reflection on trainers personality
- Group dynamics in trainings
- Training in an intercultural context
- How to evaluate trainings and the impact of training initiatives
Trainers: Ms Gesa Grundmann, Ms Annika Buchholz
Participants should bring their own material/contents which they would like to convert into practical training contents.
The preliminary course programme can be found here.